Sunday, March 16, 2014

A new Dawn

My feet were weary with walking: we had not stopped since we had left Moria, for fear of followers.
The air was dark and grimy. It was the dusk of the following day, but I was not tired, I was fuelled by fear and my fear of the others in Rivendell. Isilindil had given the Muted orc a potion that made it fall asleep immediately, and there was not trouble from it.

I didn't raise my eyes to see the tall, humped figure of Isilindil and her load in front of me, I knew she was there and leading the way as sure as I was of my own shadow in the daytime. Nevertheless, I still felt laden with worries.
What will happen to Brundt and Ranewan? How does Olorin know what to do? It seemed that the only way not to worry was to trust blindly, but looking at the path it seemed filled with potholes and precipices! Ho could I walk knowingly down it when I had no one to guide me? My doubts filled me with guilt, and the guilt led to more doubts. It seemed a never ending circle of despair.

But then, I paused. I had felt a change in the air, and like a rabbit from its burrow, I lifted my head and sniffed the air.
Then I realized - it was dawn. The pink and golden colors of hope were being painted across the sky as I watched, and they were changing and moving in ways too beautiful to comprehend. I decided to stop worrying, what will come will come.

"Ruby? Are you coming?" I started at Isilindil's tentative voice.
"Yes, sorry, was lost in thought..." we smiled briefly, and continued walking. It no longer seemed so bleak and desperate. I felt the new day in my bones as much as I felt it in my eyes, and with this hope I could do anything.

-Ruby Burrows

"Where are they!" Merewan screeched, clawing at her face, as she looked at the pale Muted before her.
"They're gone, ma'am. They took Urak, my watch-partner. They knocked me out." The Muted replied, looking at his feet.
"We must go after them! What do they hope to achieve? We trusted them!"

Beckoning at her personal guard of Muted. she bade them scour the land for any sign of the elf and hobbit, and not to stop until they could return with them and Urak, dead or alive.

"We trusted them!" she screeched again.

And so the Muted's left, in the same hopeful dawn as Ruby, and ran their trail, picking up the scent. Their skin didn't burn in the sun anymore, and they could travel in the day as well as night.

2 comments:

  1. This Story just keeps getting more and more interesting. Destroying Rivendell, Good Oracs, not to mention Muted, and kidnapping. What is going to happen next!??

    ReplyDelete