Friday, February 7, 2014

Back to Mirkwood


"Ranewan what are you doing here?" I demanded angrily and in great fear I looked around expecting to find myself surrounded. 

"Isilindil calm yourself." Ranewan's voice was quiet. "I have not journeyed after you with such haste these past four days for the purpose of bringing you back again."

I gazed at him with ill favor as his joke struck a dull cord within me. And yet as I watched he did not smile or alter his serious and honest expression. 

"You're serious?" I gasped "You are actually going to help me disobey Gontorion's orders?" 

This was not the law abiding, faithful and unbending Ranewan that I had known all of my life- he interrupted my hurried thoughts.

"I am not going to help you disobey anyone's orders." he looked down "But I do not believe in abandoning a helpless hobbit girl to die simply because one is frightened of the unknown. It is true that one fears what one knows not of, so to conquer this evil and fear we must first learn of what sort it is. That is why I came to find you."

"Well then, shall we away?" I questioned  "What route do you suggest we take?"

Ranewan looked to the sky for a moment and then replied "We should  go toward Eregion then ride between the mountains on the hidden path where we shall then turn North to Mirkwood's upper edge. That is where we will begin our search."

____________________________________

"Now if you will go and hunt us down a rabbit maybe we will have something a little more suitable to offer this dear lady." Orion's voice was warm and friendly and a twinkly of amusement sparkled in his eyes as he ordered the man in dark green britches off.

"Wait!" Ruby cried as the man began striding off into the forest with a bow slung over his shoulder.

The instinct of a healer and guilt had flooded her and without further thought she ripped a strip of her petticoat off and dipping it in the merry stream which winded halfway round their 'camp' she bound it around his bleeding hand.

"Sorry for biting you," Ruby hesitated and looked up regretfully, if she was to survive in these great woods she would need friends and biting one of them  was not a great start.

The man smiled at her and remarked "Fear not my friend for I have survived many worse wounds than these with little trouble." he winked and having his hand bandaged turned and quickly was lost to sight.


"Well  now that he," began Orion.

Ruby interrupted, "What is his name?"


"Do you know I have no memory of his name," the old man gave an odd laugh. "But as I was saying, now that he is gone we can have a proper talk and you maybe could tell me what a hobbit does here by herself far from safety even in these 'peaceful' times?"

"Well it all started when I met an elf,"

 Orion interrupted me saying,  "An elf you say. Hmm, and what was her name?" he lifted his eyebrows questioningly

"Isilindil Telperien. She's a wood elf." Ruby chirped

"So this is why I have been sent .... ahhh it makes sense. Yes. To help the inevitable. To help these two. Yes this is the hobbit I was sent to aide, and the elf she speaks off must be the chosen elf friend. Yes. It was written in the sky's so. "  Orion muttered under his breath.

"I am sorry Sir but what are you mumbling about? I am afraid that I can't understand you." Ruby remarked.

"Oh no matter, just thinking you know." Orion smiled "Well that's that.  Ah yes it's perfect. Don't you think its a lovely day?'


Orion pulled out a pipe and taking three large puffs he laid back smiling. Ruby continued her story and smoke rings flitted towards the treetops in rhythm.


~
Isilindil Telperien 


No comments:

Post a Comment