Monday, February 10, 2014

Plans and Separation

I laid out on the sweet smelling grass of the forest next to Ruby. She was sleeping peacefully and on the other side of the campfire Ranewan and Brundt were resting at an amusing distance from each other. I believe that they have not quite gotten over the circumstance of their first meeting. At least it seems so for Ranewan. 

Olorin sat up against a tree with his eyes closed, although I could not tell if sleep had taken him. 

Hearing a slight burning noise I sat up quickly, the others seemed oblivious to the noise. Looking around I saw a shade pass over the ground, like an ordinary shadow and yet as it round through the forest it left behind a bitter scent and appeared to melt certain of the ordinary, plain plants. As it came to a small group of wildflowers happily dancing a waltz it appeared to 'stand' up over them. For some reason my heart was clenched in fear and I could not call out to the others although my heart agonized for some strange reason of the flowers, so unaware of their impending doom. Yet as I watched the dark shadow dove at the flowers but was instantly repulsed repeatedly. Eventually It retreated and I found my voice after gasping several times. 

"Olorin!" I did not think at the time how odd it was that I should call Olorin out of the four. "Olorin! Olorin!" 

Olorin rose like an oak and was by my side in an instant. The others woke in a more human-like manner along with plenteous yawning and lots of confused looks around. 

"What is it Isilindil?" Olorin asked "What did you see?" 

"There was a shadow," I found the air did not come quickly to my lungs, "it crept throughout the forest leaving a foul stench and it burned some of the more ordinary plants and shrubs  It tried to devour those wildflowers there, but it could not." I began to find breathing more easy. 

"It has not grown into it's full strength. Yes. It is as I was afraid." Olorin exclaimed, "Ranewan you shall travel with me to Rivendell to see Gontorion. Brundt you shall go with Ruby and Isilindil to," he paused, "To Moria, it may be that you find a clue there. And yet it has been so long ..." his voice trailed off. 

"A clue to what?" Ruby questioned "I don't understand this at all!" 

"Neither do I, and yet this is what my heart counsels me to do. We must continue on in faith." Olorin glanced down. 

"Please let me stay with Isilindil, I would like to know that she is safe." Ranewan looked at Olorin. 

"No. Most definitely not. I understand why you want to go with her." he peered at Ranewan sharply and Ranewan hurriedly looked away. "But she will be no safer with you then without you so it's settled. No buts!" 

"We should go immediately  I doubt that sleep shall find us anymore this night." Brundt quietly remarked. 

"Quiet right you are! Farewell Ruby, Isilindil, Brundt. Keep them safe." Olorin lifted his large eyebrows at Brundt and a slight smile spread across Brundts face in acknowledgement. 

~Isilindil Telperien 

2 comments: