Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Confusion in Mirkwood and Ruby Disappears

Gontorien came out of a counsel-one I was not invited to- and they had decided to go to Mirkwood and meet the Orc Army. I thought it was a foolish decision as Rivendell had been saved and was currently in the process of being rebuilt under careful guard. I believed it would be better if we sent back-up to the elves in Rivendell till the survivors, if any, were found. But Gontorion would not be swayed and we headed to Mirkwood.

Riding we journeyed over Rhovanion, otherwise known as The Brown Lands. This course took us along the west side of Mirkwood, passing by Dur Gulder. At last we reached our destination, the very west/north corner of Mirkwood from where there was a safe path so that we could take our enemy by surprise whom we were told were encamped currently along the north rim of Mirkwood.

"Isilindil!" a voice called me back into reality and I was ordered to dismount as Gontorion wished to see me. Ruby begged to come but I was in a foul mood and shook off her pleadings.


"Isilindil, scouts have been sent out to view the enemy and ..." Gontorions voice trailed away and a nearby scout piped up.

"The Orc's are dead, all of them. We thought it may have been poison as there was no sign of physical wounds, in fact when we first came upon them we thought they were merely all asleep."


"Tis a deep evil that lies here and I think it best we journey back to Rivendell as Isilindil you first counseled me two weeks ago. Would that one of the greater elfs were here for I fear I cannot perceive that which is the best path. You may go now Isilindil."

With sorrow misting my heart I walked back to my horse and looked about for my friend as I was in need of comfort amid the confusion of my mind.

"Where is Ruby?" I asked a nearby elf-archer.

"I do not know, I saw her ride through those trees over there," he pointed to a dark clustered group of pines "And she has not returned."

I quickly ran over to the trees calling Ruby's name loudly. The alarm sounded throughout the army and soon many voices were heard calling Ruby's name, but no response came back to our eagerly listening ears.

Gontorion blew a crystal note upon a horn and silence fell. He strode angrily towards me and firmly grasping my shoulder he demanded why I should cause such a commotion when our army could be in mortal danger.

"Ruby." I gasped, "Ruby is gone, disappeared."

"Well then that way she must stay as we cannot wait for her and we cannot stay here." Gontorion's voice was merciless.

"No, you can't!" I pleaded.

But there was steel in Gontorion's eyes and he mounted his horse and turned the army round about as we headed West to Rivendell.

Behind us in the shadows Ruby lay unconscious surrounded by black foliage which now was twisted around her waist,a tall white figure bent over her, a dark look clouding his brow.

No comments:

Post a Comment