Monday, January 27, 2014

A Journey to The Shire

Ruby Burrows persuaded me to go with her back to Hobbition. Unsure I at last gave way to my curiosity and said yes. Here I am now, standing on a hill under the new Party Tree, the soft, sweet breezes playing with the leaves. I have visited the Mayor, Samwise Gamgee and have met several of Ruby Burrow's relatives including the Sacksvile Baggins, although she denies vigorously as to being related to them. However I had heard many rumors of Bilbo's evil relatives, so away we went.  A rude and most amusing line of Hobbits I found the Sacksvile Baggins to be, however I fear my dear friend Ruby did not enjoy our intercourse and much as I did.   

Through traveling around Hobbition I learned that Samwise has recently been elected Mayor for the seventh time. Meriadoc is master of Buckland and is doing well, although that is the tale in Green Dragon and I have not had that information from his own lips. 


One encounter I had  while staying in Hobbition involved a dear little hobbit boy named Togo Loamsdown. He must have been around 15 years old and although no eagerness to do anything of any excitement existed in his cognition I still liked his sweet smile and shy voice. 

I was walking with Ruby along the snakelike path which threaded through the village when we heard a loud crash inside the Green Dragon and a small boyish cry. Rushing through the doors I was astounded to find poor Togo Loamsdown being held upside down by a much larger hobbit which I learned later the name of which was Lardo Bunce. Without thinking -as usual Ranewan would comment were he here- I drew my sword and putting it to Lardo's throat demanded that he drop the hobbit. Forthwith Lardo with a scared chirp threw Togo down with little grace. My friend walked in behind me just as the little hobbit was dropped and stared at me with shock as my eye's flashed with fire and drawing near Lardo I grabbed him by the collar and demanded to know why he treated the boy such. Lardo stuttered. A small voice from Togo's direction said quietly, "We were playing 'Trolls and Hobbits'". 

"What?" I was very confused. 

Ruby gently laid her hand upon my sword and I sheathed it blushing. A smile from my friend and a quick apology were all we gave to the stone-like hobbits before rushing outside. Ruby was quite happy and thought it good to give the hobbits a scare once in a while. I however felt very badly and would have gone back and apologized if my friend had not said it was useless. So ended my one adventure, if adventure it can be called, in Hobbition. Because of this happening I knew that it would be best for Ruby and I to journey on to somewhere else seeking excitement as neither excitement nor kindness would be thrown our direction for some time in this place. 

The hobbits are a kindly and odd people, lovable and distrusting. The hobbits do not approve of my befriending Ruby as it is thought to be quite unexpected. I think I could spend many beautiful days here, in the sunlight, among the simple and complex hobbits. If my love of adventure and my thrill seeking nature did not make me begin to agonize for the untamed lands of Middle Earth I would stay here for many delightful years. 
~Isilindil Telperien 

No comments:

Post a Comment