Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Riddles!

Hello all! Just thought that I would share something extremely Hobbit-ish with you all as there isn't much known about us - we like to be kept a mystery, or rather to be left alone in peace. However, this is something that I think all of you will enjoy.
Riddles!
Hobbits love riddles - something to puzzle over in the cold winter while sipping tea and great for breaking the ice in family gatherings!
We love to challenge each other, and in my family it has been a tradition to invite everyone over to a selected house each year and hold a big Celebration of Riddles - everyone takes part! We have riddles from the smallest to the largest, the shortest to the longest and the hardest to the easiest! I would like to share some with you! But be warned - I'm not going to give away all the answers!

When answering riddles, a good clue is to check for word tricks and rhymes - see if they make sense. If the riddle is wordplay, then this can give you some good points!

1st Riddle:

Poor people have it,
Rich people need it,
If you eat it, you'll starve.

That's a good one - I remembered solving it at last one day, such a revelation! Don;t fret now, it'll make sense when you get it!

2nd Riddle:

What occurs once in a minute,
Twice in a moment,
And never in a thousand years?

This one you can solve by looking at my word play tip - it's quite an easy one, so I'll be disappointed if you all don't get it.

It dances and skips,
it's read in the eyes but it cheats with the hips,
If it meets its match it's easily caught,
but it's worth nothing if it is bought.
What is it?

 Now this one is harder than the one's mentioned above - and it's usually of the category that we reserve for last - but you should give it a go!

And last but not least - a true hobbit riddle!

Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still.

I hope you enjoyed those riddles!
-Ruby Burrows


3 comments:

  1. Great Riddles!
    Hey is a Middle Earth limerick that was in the HSLDA mag.
    There once was a hobbit named Sméagol
    Who too the Ring from Deagol.
    He turned into Gollum
    And hid in a hollum
    In the mountain so regal.

    I thought that this was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that wonderful limerick! I really appreciate that - and I must say, the information was completely accurate. I wonder where you found out about Smeagol... It was my Uncle Samwise who told me about him.... I wonder...
      -Ruby Burrows

      Delete
  2. Thanks Annalise! Ruby is really a talented hobbit :)

    ReplyDelete