Monday, January 20, 2014

As The Sun Sets Part 1

Hello Middle Earth
It's the Hobbit, Ruby Burrows. Right now I thought I might shed some light onto my background - I now I can be quite vague sometimes - I guess I tend to speak in riddles only Hobbits can decipher!
My father was owner of the Golden Barley Inn 'back in the day' as he says. He met my mother on a summer evening in a party (of whose, he can;t remember). They danced the night away, I guess. Two years later, he asked her to marry him! She said yes, and they traveled around the Shire on their honeymoon. They were married for a further three years before I came along. My dad says I was like the cork on the bottle - holding all the excitement in! once I was baron, my parents tried to ensure that I had the best possible life - and that meant spending copious amounts of time with my uncle, Samwise Gamgee! Of course, he taught me all the necessary skills and finesse to gardening, how to cook, fight, travel and have a good time! And of course, riddling and other such Hobbit skills as well as how to smoke a pipe and blow rings! My parents taught me the art of brewery and to recognize wildlife, while I engrossed myself in the books and writings of Mr. Frodo and other Bagginses, which had been left in the care of my uncle along with Bag End.

After a while, I discovered an urge to leave and adventure - I blame the Took side of me - and decided to leave the Shire and set off to the unknown! Inspired and encouraged by my uncle, I decided to go to Rivendell, and so on the 14th of May I got my parent's blessings, my uncle's map of Middle Earth, and the disapproving glares of my elders as I left the Shire!


Traversing the wild for a couple of days, maybe more than a week, it was hard to tell, when I came upon a band of trolls! They smelt horrible, I can tell you! Like rotting meat and fish! There was a big one, a small one and one with a belt which was obviously the leader. I decided to call that one Bossy. They were sheltering in a cave in a cliff by a forest, which was perfect as the trees were so close together that it was always twilight! I guess that I had been a bit more confident in my abilities than I am now, as I saw that they had a bag of gold coins as well as other treasures stored around their cave! So, sneaking in as quiet as a handkerchief on the wind, I tip-toed around the campfire and towards the treasures. That was when I made my mistake. I had decided to take the coins in their bag with me instead of making sure that they didn't clink! So, when the tell tale jingling suddenly erupted from the cave door, the trolls turned and grabbed me just as I tried to escape lugging off with their treasure!


"Now, what do we 'ave 'ere?" The Big one grumbled, dangling me between his thumb and forefinger

"Pass it 'ere..." Bossy reached over "Looks no more than skin'n'bones t'me... Mayhaps we can fatten them there ponies on it" He dropped me with his grubby fingers into his belt pouch, which I then found out held seasonings. He shook me about a bit, and then tied me to a tree to roast over the fire. Big one and Small one looked over his shoulder. I felt the the flames reach eagerly towards my face and in vain I tried to get free of my bonds.

~Ruby Burrows



Now for my part of the tale, I am Isilindil Telperien, a wood-elf. I was walking through the forests while red light set in the west one evening. I heard the distant smell of trolls and ignoring Ranewan's advice to avoid these evil creatures in my travels,I crept towards a glimmer of firelight.


Peering through the clearing my eye's were meet with a terrible scene, four trolls stood about a raging fire whilst a figure, minuscule compared to the brawny beasts, was tied to a small tree trunk. The largest troll held this tree trunk just above the flames while the hobbit girl, helpless, appeared like a spitted sausage.


Quickly I thought of the tales of old, how Gandalf had tricked the three trolls into staying out till the sun came up. But alas, the trolls are more cunning now and would not fall for a trick like that again. I leaped out at the trolls and drew my sword, a foolish move and Ranewan would scoff, but I could not watch the girl die before my eyes.

"Release her now!" I cried out at them.

They looked questioningly at me and then to my surprise they quickly put the tree trunk with attached girl down on the ground gently and ran into their cave. A loud scraping noise and they had closed the door with a large boulder.

Not having time to question the troll's odd behavior I ran towards the girl and untied her. Although a bit shaken she appeared to be unharmed.

"Thank you ...?" She stood up.

"My name is Isilindil. And what does a hobbit do in the forest so far away from home?"  I inquired

"Well you see, I was, well I was on an adventure. And what about you, what business do so many elf's have so far away from their home?" She looked questioningly at me and in surprise I whirled around. Ranewan.


No comments:

Post a Comment