Thursday, January 30, 2014

Rivendell Holds No Answers

Ruby and I found ponies awaiting us at Bree as sent for three days ago. After a night of rest at the Prancing Pony we were away to Rivendell. I must admit my heart was glad for the trail that led me every mile closer to the beautiful valley where Rivendell lies. It has been many years since I have been able to lay sight about that last homely house.

Ruby and I approach the near hidden path and as we begin the descent I notice strange footprints in ground, it is clear that a recent scuffle had taken place in that area.

"You know Ruby, I have not been here for almost one hundred years." I remarked quietly, "It may be that things have changed and that visitors are not usually welcomed as in the olden days. Elrond is no longer master in Rivendell as he has long ago journeyed into the West. Perhaps we should have sent a message ahead."


"Come on Isilindil" Ruby's voice was eager but I saw her hand slide down slightly and put her hand upon her sword.


We entered into a clearing in full sight of Rivendell, ashes and smoke drifted around us and I knew my fears were correct. Nothing of Rivendell remained but desolation and  a few burning corpses, there was nothing we could do to help the horrible scene. Rivendell was demolished.  I had smelled smoke a ways back but I hoped that it was merely a campfire.

Horns sounded close by and I pulled Ruby down just before an Orc squadron entered the valley. We watched in horror as they tramped across the dead. At last there was silence and pulling Ruby gently up we walked back to where we had tied our ponies near a large pine tree. Bella and Henry appeared unharmed and were lying down resting after their long journey, little did they know that their exhaustion had saved their lives, and probably ours too.

Mounting quickly we rode without speaking to each other six miles till stopping ata small stream, allowing our horses a little much needed rest.

"We." Ruby choked, "Lothlorien. We should go to Lothlorien."

"What if it is like Rivendell?" I cried "What if it lies in burning ruins? What if corpses now line the  beautiful hills of Lothlorien?"

"We need to go now!" Ruby urged "It may be that we find Lothlorien in a bath of blood and evil but we do not know that they have suffered from such a fate. Besides they need to be warned as it is possible that they know nothing of this."

Ruby was right. Sometimes common Hobbit sense is a wonderful thing when you are in complete darkness.

"Very well then," I agreed "We should go towards Lothlorien. We shall travel along the outskirts of Rohans lands, going around the mountain. Then we shall make for the forest."

No comments:

Post a Comment