Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Of Disapprovals and Blessings

Today Isilindil and I took a stroll along the perimeters of Hobbiton - or rather, she strolled and I jogged to keep up. It's hard being friends with Long-Legs. Oh well...
To cut to the chase, she and I had many wonderful experiences in the Shire - I really enjoyed showing her to all my family and friends - however there were those who didn't exactly approve of a Hobbit - Elf friendship... Hmmm... Well, lets see - I think that the Sacksilve Bagginses didn't exactly approve. but then, they never approve of anything really - always got their fat noses in the air.
There were several others who you could tell looked on us with disdain and fear at Isilindil - The Hobbits (however we might deny the claim) have always been scared of Tall Beings, and only a select few ignore this prejudice.
Back to the walk  - the sun is shining, the bees are buzzing and the grass s growing underfoot. It's a pleasant day, as it always is on Hobbiton, and the smell of honey and daisy's pervades the air. We decided to take a walk as I thought it would be better to be away from the main population of hobbits since the occurrence yesterday with the two boys who were playing Trolls and Hobbits.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Isililindil leaned casually against a sycamore tree, towering over me by about three feet.
"Oh, just recollecting yesterday's excitement..." She laughed, leaning backwards, and then sat on the ground. My dress being tugged by the wind danced around and it became still as I too sat down. 'Even when I'm standing', I thought, she's still taller than me.

About two hours later, it was hard to tell for time seems to slow down in The Shire as if being crystallized like the many candies we adore, we had made our way to Samwise Gamgee's hole, my uncle's domain.
The gate swung freely in the breeze, but was propelled by three little Hobbits watching our approach.
"Greetings Cousins!" I waved my arm in the air. Frodo, Elanor and Rose waved and then ran off giggling to tell their father that we had arrived.

"Oh, they're darlings!" I explained to Isilindil, rolling the R's "They love visitors, although they can be shy around Tall Beings." warning her just in case we had another incident, like yesterday. I smiled at the thought of Rose and Elanor being trussed up like dwarves in barrels.

After the cursory greetings we were sat down on the furniture and thoroughly enjoyed a large hobbit lunch - discussing a map that Uncle Sam would lend to us.

"Mr. Bilbo gave this t'me before 'e left on tha' big journey... It's a map o' showing 'oo knows what. I think it's a mystery. Looks like dwarvish t'me. Could mean treasure or adventure..." Uncle Sam explained after taking a sip of tea. I shivered with anticipation, and glanced towards Isilindil. She was examining the map with a thoughtful expression. Then, touring to Uncle Sam., she said:
"Do you not wish to take part in this journey?" her lilting voice almost turning the words to song.
"Nah. Besides, I got a family to take care of. And I think I'm a bit to old and round t' go off chasing treasure. I'll leave that for sprightly young things like you" I scoffed. Uncle Sam wasn't that old, and besides, I could see the gleam of curiosity and adventure in his eyes that he got when talking about his adventures of old. But then it disappeared as he pulled Primrose onto his lap and gave her a tickle.

"We'd best start right away to Rivendell to decipher this" Isilindil's tone was decisive.
"Well, you 'ave my blessings, the both of you. And don;t forget to pack potatoes" He gave me a cheery wink. Isilindil looked at us confused.

After we left the home, Isilindil asked me what he had meant about the potatoes. I just laughed and continued on my way, leaving Isilindil with a stymied expression on her elven features.
I whistled. It looks like the beginning of an adventure to me!
~Ruby Burrows

No comments:

Post a Comment